I cook this barley drink at least once a week for the whole family. I normally have the herbs packed ready so I simply empty the herbs into the colander to rinse a few times and that’s really all there is to do for making this drink. Five minutes is all it takes. Now you know the real reason why I always make this drink! 😀
Barley drink recipe
- 120-150g Chinese barley (生熟薏米, also known as 薏米仁 or苡仁) - you can get this at Chinese medical halls
- 5 deng xin cao (灯心草) - omit this if pregnant as it helps with urination - something that pregnant women don't need 🙂
- 40-80g candied winter melon (冬瓜糖) - adjust according to your preference
- about 2.5L water
- Rinse the herbs.
- Add the herbs to the water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low heat for 1.5 hours.
- Sieve and remove the herbs.
- Serve warm or chilled.
In case you’re wondering what’s deng xin cao, here’s a pic – it’s supposed to have ‘cooling’ properties as well:
This is a relatively mild ‘cooling’ drink so it is suitable even for young children. You may want to omit or adjust the amount of candied winter melon strips when young children are consuming the drink.
Click the link for the complete list of drink recipes (with thumbnails) on the blog.
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂