I actually shared this photo last year when I was reviewing the Philips Avance Airfryer last December. This stuffed you tiao is actually one of my favourite dishes at our family gatherings but in recent times, my mum has not really made these as she has cut down on the number of deep-fried dishes she does for health reasons.
But of course you already know that I have an awesome Airfryer, so I can whip these up any time I want without the guilt. And so I did recently when I celebrated my mum’s birthday at my place.
I think it’s a nice touch to be able to cook a dish that my mum used to cook for me in return on her birthday. 🙂 And since I really love this dish so much, I decided that I shall have it on my blog so that I can easily refer to it any time I need to – and for your reference as well, if you need.
- 2 pairs of you tiao
- 200g fish paste (I used a bowl of Bobo fish paste)
- about 100-150g prawns
- 2 tablespoons egg white
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- a dash of sesame oil
- a dash of ground white pepper
- a dash of hua tiao jiu
- corn flour (for dusting the tops)
- 1 tablespoon oil (for brushing onto the top of the you tiao)
- sesame seeds
- Split the two pairs and cut each stick into 4 segments - you should yield 16 pieces.
- Using a pair of kitchen scissors, snip open the top of the you tiao to make room for the stuffing.
- Wash and devein the prawns. Chop or mince the prawns - depending on how much bite you want when you eat the you tiao.
- Mix the minced prawns with the fish paste, egg white and the condiments (except the cornflour, oil and sesame seeds).
- Divide and stuff the mixture into the you tiao.
- Preheat the airfryer to 180degC.
- Meanwhile, dust the tops of the stuffed you tiao with corn flour then brush with oil.
- Top with sesame seeds.
- Airfry the youtiao in 2 batches (I laid them out in a single layer) - 180degC for 10min. If deep-frying, simply deep fry the you tiao at this step.
For more fish & seafood recipes, do check out the Fish & Seafood section in this blog for a complete directory of recipes (with thumbnails).
Other Airfryer recipes you might be interested in:
|Air-fried cod bites||Chicken cutlet with lemon sauce||Easy Garlic Bread Sticks|
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂