Some time back I posted a basic soup base recipe which you can use for enhancing the taste of dishes such as when stewing vegetables, for cooking porridge or 1-dish meals like soupy noodles or the gravy for crispy noodles (sheng mian). That recipe however uses chicken carcasses and pork ribs. This easy chicken stock recipe yields not only a very tasty soup but also enables you to have extremely tender chicken meat for you to include in your 1-dish meal.
What you need:
To get a piping hot 1-dish meal as shown below, simply follow the steps in the printable recipe!
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 chicken thigh, skin and visible fats removed
- 5-6 dried scallops
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3-4L water
- 200g angel hair (for 2 adults + 2 children)
- 1 packet fishballs
- assorted yong tau foo items
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 packet of leafy greens
- corn niblets
- 2-3 chilli padi, sliced
- shallot oil and fried shallots* (see note 1)
- shredded chicken meat from the chicken which was used to cook the soup
- Place chicken breast and chicken thigh in a pot of water with enough water to cover the chicken. Bring the water to a boil then turn off the heat and remove the chicken.
- In a soup pot, place the chicken, dried scallops, garlic and 3-4L water and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer the soup for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat for use for 1-dish meals such as chicken noodle soup (as featured in this post) or if you have more than enough chicken for one meal, you can use it for chicken congee (upcoming recipe) for another meal!
- Remove the garlic cloves and cook the rest of the ingredients for the chicken noodle soup accordingly.
- Top with shallot oil, fried shallots, and chilli padi (for adults).
Click the link for the full list of soup recipes (with thumbnails).
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂