Remember the easy chicken stock recipe for 1-dish meals I shared last week? Here’s another homey 1-dish meal that you can whip up using the soup as well as the chicken meat and the great news is that it’s suitable for both young and old.
Although I have a rice cooker that claims that it can cook congee and porridge, I’ve found that it’s not quite enough to simply run it on one cycle of congee if I really want the texture of congee. In fact, I have to run it on two cycles of cooking congee to achieve the texture of congee. The comforting part of the entire cooking process is that at least it’s all automated and I don’t need to stand by the stove to check if the congee gets burnt. Also, because I cook the rice grains twice, I don’t need lots of chicken stock to cook this as I only add in the chicken stock in the second round of cooking. Yes, that’s the official cheat code. Of course, if you’ve got more chicken stock to spare, you can cook the congee with chicken stock on both cycles. 😀
Anyway, because the stock is already packed with flavours and the I add seasoning to the cooked shredded chicken meat, there’s hardly a need to add any other condiments to the porridge. Simply ladle out the porridge, top with more chicken, fried shallots and shallot oil, spring onions and white pepper (optional).
This is definitely a great dish to cook in this cool season of the year!
- 250g chicken breast, cooked (See note 1) and shredded
- 160g mixed rice grains (that's 1 cup of rice grains, using the cup that came along with the rice cooker)
- 600ml water (or water enough to cook 1 cup of porridge/congee according to your rice cooker)
- 600ml chicken stock (or stock enough to cook 1 cup of porridge/congee according to your rice cooker)
- fish sauce (to taste, if porridge is not salty enough - I don't think you'll need this though)
- a few stalks of spring onion, washed and cut into small pieces
- fried shallots
- shallot oil (optional)
- white pepper to taste (optional)
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- a couple dashes of white pepper
- generous dashes of garlic powder (to taste)
- Cook rice grains in rice cooker on porridge/ congee function with the water.
- When it's done, add the chicken stock to the porridge and cook one more cycle on the porridge/ congee function.
- While congee is cooking, you can prepare the chicken meat by either steaming it for about 10min or till it's fully cooked through (see note 1)
- Season the cooked chicken breast with the condiments.
- Ten minutes before the congee is done, add in most of the shredded chicken breast, leaving some as garnish for each bowl.
Click the link for a complete list of one-dish meals (with thumbnails) on the blog.
Love porridge? Here’s the most popular recipe on this blog – FISH PORRIDGE! 😀
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂