I’m known to lurve soups, especially tummy-warming nutritious Chinese soups. I think my little boy inherited my love for soups as this Chinese Yam soup is my little boy’s new favourite soup and you cannot imagine how a tiny little boy like him can guzzle down a whole bowl of this soup at one go. Once he starts, he won’t stop to eat his rice and dishes till he finishes the bowl of soup! I’d forgotten to add wolfberries this time though but soup was lapped up by the whole family anyway 🙂
- 1 stick of fresh Chinese yam (huai shan or wai san), peeled and cut into chunks - you can obtain this at both supermarkets and wet markets
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 packet of vacuum packed fresh lotus seeds
- 5 dried scallops
- 2-3 chicken carcasses
- 8-10 seedless red dates, rinsed
- 1 handful wolfberries, rinsed
- 3L water
- 250g pork ribs (optional)
- fish balls (optional) - I added it as my little girl loves fish balls but traditionally, fish balls aren't added in this soup.
- salt/ fish sauce to taste
- Place the chicken carcasses in a pot of water (enough to cover the bones) and bring to a boil.
- Remove the chicken carcasses and place them in a soup bag together with the rinsed red dates.
- Place the soup bag in a soup pot of water and add the rinsed dried scallops. Bring this to a boil.
- Add the carrots and lotus seeds once the soup is boiling.
- Let it simmer for about 1.5 hours then add the chinese yam. Cook for another 30 minutes or so or till chinese yam is tender.
- Add wolfberries 5 minutes before serving.
- If adding fish balls, add it together with the wolfberries. Once the fishballs float up, they are cooked.
- Add salt/ fish sauce to taste.
2. Pork ribs may be added if desired.
Click the link to see the full list of soup recipes.
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂