My little boy has come to appreciate nutritious and tasty soups and he is a big fan of my soups, of course. 🙂 Looking at how he easily lapped up a bowl of this tofu sweet corn soup with his bowl of rice in less than 10 minutes, I know for sure he’s in love with this soup!
Tofu sweet corn soup can be enjoyed as a soup or a thicker version which is known as 羹 – simply add cornflour slurry into the soup to thicken it to a consistency of your liking. Since my hubby prefers the soupy version, I did not add any cornflour.
- 1 block silken tofu (for soup), diced into 2cm cubes
- 2 corn cobs, chopped into segments
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, rinsed
- 1 egg, beaten not too finely
- 3 chicken carcasses (you can use a mixture of chicken carcasses and pork ribs)
- 3.5L water
- 3 cloves garlic (leave skin on)
- 5 small dried scallops
- Crab meat may be added but I didn't as my little boy is only 15months old.
- Place the chicken carcasses in a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil then remove the chicken bones and place them in a soup bag.
- Place the garlic (and dried scallops if you're not consuming them) into the soup bag as well. Tie up the soup bag.
- Place the soup bag of ingredients together with corn cobs into the 3.5L water in a deep soup pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for a couple of hours at least.
- When soup is ready, remove the corn cobs and soup bag.
- Add the corn kernels and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and boil for another 2 minutes.
- Swirl the beaten egg in, cover the pot and turn off the flame.
- Serve in 5 minutes after egg has set.
Linking up with:
Wah looks so yummy and healthy! Haha
Madeline recently posted…The Madelines: Organising Small Things