This is an extremely easy to prepare dish and it is one of my little one’s favourite dishes!
Poaching retains all the sweetness and original flavours and is one of the best ways to cook for children or health-conscious people.
Poached Cod with Baby Spinach
- 1 small piece of cod fillet (about 15-20g)
- 1 handful of baby spinach leaves (exclude stems for young children especially babies below 1 year old as they may not be able to handle the stem)
- Stock (any type, amount enough to poach cod)
- Wash spinach leaves thoroughly.
- Place fish in a small saucepan with enough stock to cover the piece of fish. Bring stock to a simmer over medium heat - do not boil or the fish may break apart. It should take about 5 minutes for the small piece of cod to cook.
- Drizzle spinach with a tablespoon of stock and steam the spinach leaves for about 5 minutes or cook the spinach together with the cod.
- Remove spinach leaves and cut into small pieces with a food scissors. Place cod on top of the bed of spinach leaves.
- Drizzle cooked stock over the dish and serve with porridge or rice.
2. You can replace cod with other types of fish.
3. Cabbage may be used in place of spinach - it's extremely sweet and tasty - but cabbage would require a longer cooking time.