My mum made this for me when I was young and now I make it for my darling! Alicia loves this dessert soup – which I don’t make so sweet so that she has it as a drink, not just as a dessert on days I cook it.
The water chestnuts are ‘cooling’ in nature, have a nice crunch and paired with the fragrant, sweet corn kernels, you can imagine that it is a refreshing dessert and drink for both adults and kids.
I cook this about once a week for Alicia and hubby and we have barley water twice a week (she loves to eat barley too!)
This dessert takes only 15-20min to cook so it’s really convenient!
Water chestnuts with corn dessert soup
- 5-8 water chestnuts (washed, peeled and diced) - adjust according to your preference
- ½ soup bowl of frozen sweet corn kernels (you can use fresh corn and remove the kernels if you have time)
- about 1.5L water
- about 8 pieces of wintermelon strips (adjust according to preference)
- Add the diced water chestnuts, corn kernels and wintermelon strips to the pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for another 15-20min.