I’ve been wanting to make Japanese Hamburger for a long long time and I finally went to Meidi-ya to pick up the hamburger sauce which is well, the sauce that goes with this dish.
Japanese hamburgers are served (usually) with rice alongside other dishes rather than between buns (the way we usually consume burgers). 🙂
We had ours with brown rice porridge 🙂
- 200g minced beef
- 100g minced pork
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white breadcrumbs
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced finely
- ¾ tsp salt
- a few dashes ground black pepper
- Hamburger sauce - estimate amt enough for 4 patties (see pic below)
- Saute onion in some oil till translucent. Let cool.
- Moisten the breadcrumbs with milk.
- Combine the beef, pork, egg, moistened breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper and sauted onions. Mix well - your hand is the best tool for this task.
- Divide into four portions and shape them into patties, slapping each with your palms till the surface is smooth.
- Indent the middle of each pattie with your thumb - this ensures that the middle gets cooked evenly.
- Heat a large frying pan with some oil on high heat. Brown the patties then turn them over to the other side.
- Put a tight-fitting lid on the pan and steam-cook the hamburgers on low heat for 10min, until the middle of the pattie bounces back when u press it. Remove from pan to serving plate.
- Pour out excess oil from the pan and heat the hamburger sauce.
- Dish hamburger sauce on each pattie.
- Garnish with steamed vegetables and serve.
Alicia’s portion (not too much sauce for hers):
ok, she didn’t eat that much of the hamburger, and before I knew it, hubby ate it all up. Fortunately, I made her favourite fried minced pork with egg, which she ate happily too. 🙂
Click the link for a complete list of one-dish meals (with thumbnails) on the blog.
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂