I came across this idea while reading Ju’s blog and I thought, I’d try it some day.
And so that day came and I cooked it.
I think I still prefer the thinly sliced version instead of the julienned one because I prefer my chayote to be crunchy rather than soft. But oh well, if I don’t try it, I’d never know right? 😛
Chayote (Chokos) with glass noodles
- 1 big chayote
- 1 handful small dried shrimps
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bowl stock
- 1 bowl water
- 1 small packet of glass noodles
- fish sauce to taste
- Remove the skin and seed of the chayote and julienn.
- Rinse the dried shrimps a couple of times then soak in a bowl of water. Remove the shrimps and air-dry before frying (to prevent oil from splattering later). Reserve the bowl of water the shrimps were soaking in.
- Soak the glass noodles to soften them a bit.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the garlic and dried shrimps till fragrant.
- Add the chayote and fry for 30sec before adding in the stock and bowl of water.
- Bring the stock to a boil then add the glass noodles.
- Add fish sauce to taste.
- Dish and serve.