- 1 big chayote (chokos) – remove skin and seed and slice very thinly)
- 1 handful of very small dried shrimps
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce to taste
- Rinse the dried shrimps a couple of times. Soak them in about half a bowl of water for about 1/2hr. (Chop the dried shrimps into smaller bits if you’re using the bigger dried shrimps)
- Remove the dried shrimps from the water and leave to dry – you don’t want oil to splatter everywhere when you’re frying them later. Reserve the water for cooking.
- Heat some oil in the wok. Fry the garlic and dried shrimps till fragrant.
- Add in the chayote and stir-fry for about a minute.
- Add in the water that the dried shrimps were soaked in and bring it to a boil. (Add more water if nec)
- Simmer on low heat for about 5-7min (depending on how crisp you like the veg).
- Add fish sauce to taste – you don’t need a lot of this as the dried shrimp is already a bit salty.
- Dish and serve.
For toddler’s consumption (above 18mths):
Cut the chayote slices into smaller pieces to facilitate chewing.