Winter melon is versatile – it can be cooked in a savoury soup or as a sweet, cooling drink (check out my winter melon barley drink).
- 1 slice of fresh winter melon, preferably a slice somewhere in the middle rather than at the ends of the melon (keep the skin on/ off - depends on your preference)
- 250g pork ribs
- 3 chicken carcasses
- 1 handful dried shrimps
- 1 teaspoon bitter and sweet almonds
- 8 red dates, pitted
- 10g dried scallops
- 3 cloves garlic (keep the skin on)
- fish sauce and/or salt to taste
- 2-3L water
- Wash the skin of the winter melon clean if you are retaining the skin. Remove the seeds and cut the winter melon into chunks.
- Blanch the pork ribs and chicken bones.
- Rinse the dried shrimps, red dates, bitter and sweet almonds, garlic and dried scallop.
- Place the pork ribs, chicken bones, dried shrimps, garlic, bitter and sweet almonds into a soup bag. Place the soup bag and dried scallop into a soup pot of water.
- Bring the soup to a boil then simmer for an hour.
- Add the winter melon, bring the soup to a boil, then simmer on low heat for another hour.
- Add fish sauce and/or salt to taste.
Click the link for the full list of soup recipes (with thumbnails).
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂