After making the green bean (mung beans) cooling drink, there is no need to discard the beans and pandan leaves. Instead, you can transfer them to another pot and cook them together with Chinese barley to make a yummy Chinese dessert. 🙂
Made this dessert soup because we ran out of breakfast foods on Saturday morning and it was pouring so I rummaged through the fridge and decided to work with what I had. Anyway, who says you can’t eat a dessert for breakfast? 😛
Here’s the recipe if you’re cooking the dessert without having made the ‘cooling’ drink:
- ⅓ bowl mung beans
- 1-2 handfuls Chinese barley (sheng shou yi mi) - about 60-120g
- 4 pandan leaves
- rock sugar to taste
- 1.6L water
- Wash the pandan leaves and trim off any brownish edges. Tie the pandan leaves into a knot.
- Wash the mung beans and barley thoroughly.
- Place the pandan leaves, mung beans and barley into a pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for about an hour (remove the pandan leaves after half an hour) and add rock sugar to taste at the end of the cooking process. (The green beans should have split and the barley should be soft and fluffy)
- Dish and serve. Can be served hot or cold.
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂