At some point in our lives, we must have eaten some form of herbal/ (drunken) prawns. While this may not be the authentic drunken prawn dish, it is definitely herbal (I cut down on the hua diao jiu so the alcohol content is quite minimal). 🙂 Had this for dinner today alongside romaine lettuce and chicken chop topped with barbeque sauce.
This steamed herbal prawn dish is great because there’s very little effort needed and not much prep time or cooking time either. That’s one of the most beautiful things about cooking prawns. As long as the prawns are fresh, they would almost always taste good!
Steamed Herbal Prawn recipe
- 12 prawns
- 3-4 slices dang gui (當 歸)
- 2 pieces huai niu qi (淮牛膝)
- 1 tablespoon wolfberries (枸杞子)
- dash of ground white pepper
- 10-15ml hua diao jiu
- enough water to cover the prawns
- fish sauce to taste
- Rinse the herbs.
- Clean the prawns. Remove the head, trim the legs and devein.
- Place the prawns into a bowl for steaming.
- Add the water, hua diao jiu and white pepper. Mix.
- Top the prawns with the herbs.
- Steam (covered) for 8-10min.
- Add fish sauce to taste.
- Serve hot.
If you love prawns, you may want to check out these other prawn recipes.