I adapted the recipe from My Wok Life and the cereal prawns tasted awesome! 🙂 The aroma of the curry leaves combined with the crispy prawns and flavourful cereal bits….mmmph… can you just imagine that? 🙂 Pure indulgence: such a huge plate of prawns just for the two of us. 😀 which of course means it’s super fattening! This is not a dish you’d want to consume when you’re watching your diet.
I told hubby to leave 1 prawn for alicia but he forgot and ate everything up… oh well.
So here’s my slightly modified recipe! I’ve cooked this for my extended family as well and they all love it too. Such a clever idea of using the instant cereal drink for this dish!
Cereal prawns recipe
- ½ kg of medium prawns, trimmed and deveined
- Curry leaves (from 3-4 stems)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 chilli padis, sliced
- 30-40g unsalted butter (I use Lurpak)
- 2 cups of cooking oil (for deep-frying)
- 3 sachets of Nestum 3-in-1 Low-fat Cereal
- A pinch or two of salt
- A few dashes of ground white pepper
- Sprinkle a mixture of sesame oil, pepper and light soy sauce
- Clean prawns with shell intact, trim legs. Use scissors to cut a slit at the back of prawns to devein. Pat dry the prawns with kitchen towel then season the prawns. Let it sit for at least 10minutes (in the fridge if leaving it to marinate for longer).
- Heat wok with oil over high heat. Make sure oil is heated till really hot before deep frying prawns for 1 minute or until pink and crispy. Drain on kitchen towel and set aside.
- In a small (clean and dry) bowl, pour out the sachets of cereal. Mix in salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove excessive oil from the wok and heat butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic and fry till fragrant (about 30seconds), and add in chilli padi and curry leaves and stir fry till fragrant.
- When done, turn off the heat and immediately add in cereal mixture and cooked prawns. Stir quickly to combine well. Serve immediately.
If you love prawns, here are some other prawn recipes to try:
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂