Ophiopogon tuber or mai dong (麥冬) can be brewed as a drink and these are its medical functions (obtained from here):
1. Effect on circulatory system:(a) improves contraction of heart muscles(b) protects heart muscle and arrhythmia2. Anti-shock3. improves toleration of lack of oxygen4. improve immune system5. improves recovery of cells of the pancreas and lowers blood sugar6. anti-bacteria
I decided to brew this in particular to improve our immune systems, after the TCM doctor recommended this herb. Fortunately, despite the slight herby taste, Alicia still agreed to drink it. Phew.
Here’s how to make this mai dong drink:
- 75g mai dong (麥冬)
- a handful of candied winter melon (冬瓜糖) - adjust sweetness to preference
- about 1-1.5L of water
- Rinse the mai dong and place it together with the candied winter melon into the pot of water.
- Bring the pot of water to a boil.
- Simmer on low heat for 25-30min.
Click the link for the complete list of drink recipes (with thumbnails) on the blog.
If you enjoyed this post, please share your thoughts in the comments or share the post with your friends by clicking on the social media buttons below. Do hop over to my Facebook page where I connect with my readers and I would love to have you following me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram too 🙂