Another simple home-cooked dish for tonight. I’m still avoiding deep-fried and spicy food for the moment in case there is another sore throat relapse. Just have to be a bit more cautious with CNY coming up… and I’m sick of taking medicine and feeling ill!
Steamed Egg Tofu recipe
- 2 pieces egg tofus (cut into slices)
- 150-200g minced pork
- 1-2 prawns (shell, devein, mince then combine with the minced pork to marinate) - I usually add these but I ran out of prawns today so I didn't get to use them.
- mixed vegetables
- 3 water chestnuts (minced)
- ¼ carrot (minced)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- about ⅓ - ½ bowl of water
- ½ - 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- a dash of hua diao jiu
- 1 tsp sugar
- a dash of ground black pepper
- Marinate the minced pork and prawns overnight (or for a few hours).
- Add the minced carrot and water chestnut to the minced pork and prawns.
- Arrange the sliced egg tofu on a plate for steaming.
- Dust the tofu surface with some cornflour so that the minced meat mixture won't slide off after steaming.
- Place some minced meat mixture on top of each tofu slice.
- Top each individual tofu with a mixture of the mixed vegetable.
- Steam on high heat for about 7-8min.
- Pour the water (from steaming) from the plate of tofu into a wok. Add about ⅓-1/2bowl more of water.
- Add about 1tablespoon of oyster sauce to the water. Adjust amount according to taste.
- Add cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the steamed tofu.
- Serve hot.