I finally bought bananas recently and after waiting a few days more till the bananas were really ripe, I made the much-awaited mini banana muffins for alicia. These smell and taste much better than the applesauce muffins even though I love apples more than bananas and bananas rank really low on the list of favourite fruits for me. 😀
I adapted the recipe I found here. I made a really small batch of muffins because I was afraid it wouldn’t agree with alicia’s palate and since I’m not a fan of bananas, I wasn’t prepared to eat them in case alicia rejected them. But fortunately they turned out quite yummy, even though I didn’t do the crumb bit very well… hehe.
Mini Banana Muffins (makes 8)
- 100ml mashed banana (2 bananas)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 25ml olive oil
- 60g or 120ml flour (I used 20g self-raising flour + 40g whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon wheatgerm
- 1.5T brown sugar
- ⅓tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓tsp baking powder
- ⅓tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- a dash of ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1.5 tablespoon raw brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon sugar and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together bananas, egg and olive oil.
- Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups (I use silicon cups).
- In a small bowl, mix together the following for the crumb topping: brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins*.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.