My eldest aunt gave me a packet of fresh foxnuts (also known as Euryale Seeds) the other day and I’d been putting off cooking them till yesterday. I had only decided to cook it because I noticed that the gingko nuts in my fridge were about to embark on their epic journey to the trashcan soon so I had no choice but to cook this dessert despite my busy schedule.
It was really a last minute decision to cook it so I didn’t have enough time to simmer it long enough for the flavours of the ingredients to be infused properly. Didn’t help that I was trying to multi-task and cook dinner. I’m a firm believer of food that is cooked with lots of love will taste better so I guess since my heart was in more than one place at the stove, the dessert didn’t turn out as good as it is supposed to be. So remember to cook your food with lots of love and attention ya? 🙂
Btw, you can check out the nutritional value of foxnuts here.
Fresh Foxnut Dessert (鮮芡實甜湯)
Ingredients (a handful of everything unless otherwise stated):
- fresh foxnuts 鮮芡實
- red dates 紅棗
- fresh lotus seeds/nuts 鮮蓮子 (remove the pith, if any, as it’s bitter)
- gingko nuts 白果 (remove the pith as it’s bitter)
- dried longan 元肉
- white fungus 雪耳
- candied wintermelon 冬瓜糖 4-5 sticks
- rock sugar 冰糖 to taste
- 1.5L water
- Bring water to a boil in a pot/saucepan.
- Once water boils, add in all the ingredients with the exception of the fresh lotus seeds as these cook really fast as they’re fresh. The dried ones take longer to cook.
- Simmer for about 20-30minutes.
- Add the fresh lotus seeds and boil for another 10min or so.
- Add more rock sugar if it’s not sweet enough.
This dessert becomes richer when you let it stand longer or if kept overnight.