Cream of Chicken Soup
I was intending to cook the cream of mushroom soup again yesterday because I still had some whipping cream left and it has to be used within 3 days of opening but my friend suggested that I should cook something else, like cream of chicken soup. And so I decided to take that suggestion up.
It was good too, like the cream of mushroom – though I think I prefer the mushroom soup I cooked the other day simply because I love the mushroomy taste. My hubby shares my sentiments. 🙂
Anyway, if you are health conscious or into calorie-counting, you can very well do without the cream and the milk and just go for a clear chicken soup (and add noodles or spaghetti for chicken noodle soup!).
Here’s the recipe:
Cream of Chicken Soup (serves 2)
- chicken meat (I used about $2 worth of chicken fillet)
- the white portion of 1 leek (diced)
- 1/3 of a large carrot (diced)
- 100ml milk
- 100ml whipping cream
- homemade chicken broth
- 1/4 white onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste (optional)
Seasoning (for chicken)
- chicken marinade
- ground black pepper
- Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Dice garlic, onion, leek and carrot.
- Steam marinated chicken. Retain gravy.
- Dice/shred cooked chicken. Set aside.
- Melt butter and fry garlic.
- Add diced onion, leek and carrot.
- Pour the chicken meat, chicken broth and the gravy from steaming in and simmer for 30minutes.
- Whisk in milk and cream.
- Add cornflour to thicken to desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add a dash of pepper (if desired).